After the destruction of the wooden castle in 1113, it was rapidly rebuilt in stone by the Viceroy Bishop Roger who spent "great and incalculable sums on it".
This stone castle was destroyed in 1645 when Oliver Cromwell's army bombarded the castle using a battery of guns in the nearby Market Square.
At the start of the 18th century, two windmills were erected on the site, grinding at different times rape seed for oil and tobacco snuff. During the early 19th century, the South windmill was demolished to clear the site for the present South Tower. Then in the 1860s the building was expanded as far as the North windmill which was incorporated into the building as the North Tower. Further developments occured in the late 19th century with the addition of a new main staircase,a billiards room and bedrooms and so the present-day castellated mansion of Devizes Castle was created.
More Historical Details
You can reach us by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 1999 Devizes Castle